Monday, March 05, 2007

Teenager Drunk Two Bottles Of Vodka A Day.

TEENAGER Amba Edwards used to knock back two litres of vodka every day.

When she saw her family break down last year, at the age of 17, she would drink to forget in her bedroom.

She finally hit rock bottom last summer when she sought emergency treatment in A&E at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

But as a still-drunk Amba made her way home, she fell and cracked her head open on a railway line. It was the final straw - she had also been arrested twice, once for fighting and once for being drunk and disorderly on the streets of Wrexham.

Today, almost one year on, Amba is back on track thanks to help from the Cyngor Alcohol Information Service (CAIS), which has helped her crack her problem.

Now 18, she said: "I began drinking in April or May last year due to a family break down.

"I used to get up at about noon and go down to Tesco and buy two bottles of vodka for £6.99 each. I could afford it as I had a payout ahead of my 18th birthday.

"I used to drink two litres of vodka every day. I drank it secretly in my bedroom. I drank it because it made me forget what was going on with my family.

"I had to go to hospital because I was in such a bad way. I then heard about CAIS which has helped me get back on my feet."

Amber, who is now living in sheltered accommodation, says she was not scared to seek help - in fact it's the best thing she ever did.

"Yes, I do drink now but only occasionally. I would advise any teenagers out there to get help if they think they have a problem. I'm happy now," she said.

ICWales

Need help choosing domain name?

Woman Steals 500K To Start A Dating Site